Thursday 13 June 2013

Duddon Valley Fell Race 2013

My first Duddon and it was tough. My right leg had been giving me some trouble since the recce last week so I was a bit apprehensive about the race. The forecast was good though so I just planned on taking it easy and getting round in one piece. Mark was thinking about doing the short one but he wasn't fully recovered from a bug he had on Thursday.

The Finish behind the Newfield Inn.
Signs to follow through the woods to the start. Mark took lots of photos after the race started; his plan was to drive up to Hardknott pass and take photos of the race but he spent so long playing with the camera he missed all but the last 5 or so runners!
At the start still smiling

Heading for the finish over 4.5 hours later and not feeling too great.
Quite a long run out to the first climb but the views were lovely. The climb up Little Stand was just as much of a shock as everyone had said it was and I was regretting not taking a camera along with me. Great descent to meet Mark by 3 Shires stone too but by the time I had passed Swirl How I was getting cold and couldn't run as I felt I should have been so it was a struggle from then on.

Caw was very deceiving and the air was blue at one point where I was almost looking for the summit marshal as I crested what turned out to be the pikes before the final climb and realised how much of the route was left!

I was happy I got round, it's a classic route. Thanks to all involved with putting the race on!

No comments:

Post a Comment